Advances in Antenna Design for Metaverse and Other Modern Smart Mobile Devices
Download Call for Papers (PDF)
Submission Deadline: 31 December 2022
Aims & Scope: The world around us is becoming more connected and the design of antennas to meet the needs of emerging metaverse and modern smart mobile devices, i.e., virtual reality (VR), VR controllers, virtual assistants, augmented reality (AR), smartphones, smartwatches, smart rings, and truly wireless earbuds, is becoming more challenging and intricate. In this special section, we focus on recent advances in antenna development for commercial products that connect wirelessly. The industrial design of antennas for wireless connectivity has two components - the first being the definition of the antenna problem to be solved and the second developing the technical designs that can solve that problem. This section will focus on the second component. Contributions are sought for, but not limited to, the following areas: Antenna shaping and miniaturization required for commercial products; Inexpensive and environment-friendly materials, as well as ease of assembly as important considerations during mass production; Multiple frequency bands for different regions or countries leveraged by developing reconfigurable antennas or other techniques; Special arrangements to meet RF exposure standards and regulations, such as specific absorption rate (SAR); Designing multiple antennas for handheld devices and meeting the challenges of limited space and mutual coupling; Tools used in the design process for antennas integrated into the product chassis including characteristic mode analysis (CMA) and fast optimization algorithms.
Potential topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Antennas for specific product applications.
- Antennas for wearable and metaverse devices, i.e., augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR).
- Antenna designs with considerations of SAR.
- Antenna miniaturization techniques for commercial products.
- Fast optimization algorithms for industrial antenna designs.
- Mobile phone antenna designs using CMA.
- Antenna miniaturization
- Antenna and human body interaction
- Antenna matching
- Bandwidth enhancement techniques
- Characteristic Mode Analysis (CMA)
- Specific Absorption Rate (SAR)
- Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO)
Lead Guest Editor
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, China
Sony Research Center, Sweden
Tsinghua University, China
Meta Reality Labs, USA